Monday, January 15, 2007

Lighten Up Iowa

Z and I have decided to join a Lighten Up Iowa team this winter. The reason we've decided to do it this year is to help motivate us to do things we've been wanting to do for a long time and kept putting off. I spend far too much time sitting in front of the computer "working" on my thesis. And Z eats too much junk food and drinks too much soda. So, our goal is to find some ways to work out together, and we are both planning to eat better. Less junk food, more fruits and veggies, and less soda. The part that I need to work on is exercising more and the part that Z needs to work on is eating better. It should be fun. It started on January 10th and the official program goes until mid-May. To make it more interesting Z decided that we would put some money on the line. For every pound that one of us loses, the other owes that person $10. He is so going to owe me money in May!

To encourage more exercise and a workout we can do together, Z bought me a pair of pink boxing gloves. Yes...pink boxing gloves! Z likes to box, and I told him I would be willing to learn, so for now he's just teaching me the basics. The other night, we were playing around with the boxing gloves and we learned that Grommit is very attached to Z. If I hit Z, Grommit growled and whined and tried to get me to stop. Did he have the same reaction when Z hit me? Of course not! Apparently its just fine if I get beat up, as long as Z is fine! Go figure!

No comments: