Sunday, January 21, 2007

Odds and Ends

Last night and this morning we have been getting another little blast of winter weather. More snow! I'm lovin' the snow and am not complaining about it at all. It would have been nice to have snow at Christmas, but I appreciated the clean roads for the traveling, too. It finally feels like its winter around here.


Snow and winter make me feel like I want to just curl up on the couch with a cup of hot tea and read a good book. So, in the spirit of winter weather, I ordered (and just received) a couple of books that I am really looking forward to reading. The first is "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race Conscious World" and the second is "The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa". I am so excited about reading both of these books. I am hoping that "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla" will help to provide some insight to having a trans-racial family. And into helping white parents find ways to help their adopted children be proud of their background. "The Soul of a New Cuisine" was written by a man who was adopted from Ethiopia by Swedish parents when he was a child. When he became an adult, he went back to Ethiopia (and Africa) to learn about his roots and explore African cooking. From just paging through it so far I realise that it really is more than just a cookbook. It has beautiful pictures and lots of stories to go along with the recipes. There are quite a few Ethiopian recipes in the book (which is the primary reason I bought it). So, maybe someday I will be able to master some Ethiopian meals to serve to my Ethiopian kids. I am so looking forward to that day!


Well...I wish I could curl up on the couch and read a few pages from these books, but I am off to work on some of the thesis stuff instead. If I work in the basement, I can't see the snow and be pulled to drink tea and read instead! Here's what our yard looked like this morning when we woke up! Perhaps we should have put the patio furniture in the garage for the winter???

No comments: