Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Part of the Family

So, the other night the dog puked on my pillow. Yes, you read that right, the dog puked on my pillow.

You see, at our house, the pets are an integral part of our family. I know that some people will frown on this, but our dogs get to sit on the furniture, hang out where we hang out, and even sleep on our bed (though this might have to change in the future). Anyway....the other night Grommit was sleeping in his FAVORITE spot - right behind my head on my pillow, leaning against the wall). In the middle of the night (around 4 am) I woke up to that - well, you know, "puking" sound. Ugh...I leapt out of bed, grabbed the dog and the pillow and ran to the bathroom. I put the dog on the linoleum floor, and stripped the pillow of the pillowcase - not too much harm done. The whole time I was thinking "couldn't you at least get off my pillow to do this??" Yuck! Definitely not the best way to wake up. But, I managed to get everything cleaned up and I went back to bed - without one pillow. Poor Grommit...he always looks so sad when he's gotten sick. I can't help but feel bad for him, even if I am a little annoyed.

So, this has nothing at all to do with adoption, except that perhaps these kinds of experiences with our dogs are somehow preparing us for life with kids (and yes, I do realize that having kids is VERY different from having pets). I'm sure there will be nights when I am woken up because of nightmares, or wet beds, or sick kids. Having pets and having kids means that life will be unpredictable. And I'm ok with that. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. Adding kids to our house will mean that our lives will become even more unpredictable. Although, perhaps we'll have to make a nice dog bed next to our bed so we don't have that pillow puke problem again :)

On another dog-related note....My parents live on a 240-acre farm in central MN. For the past 14 years, the farm has been guarded by my very favorite Old English Sheepdog - Toby. Toby was the dog I got when I became a teenager. He was my buddy, my companion, the trusty guardian of the farm, and the faithful watchdog of all the children (human and animal alike). He lived a long and happy life on the farm and he always had a "Tigger"-like attitude (even in his old age).

Today he passed away. It is hard to see him go....but we know it was his time. We wanted him to live longer, but he was suffering....and for an Old English Sheepdog - he lived a very LONG life.

We miss you "mooch". Rest Well...


No comments: