Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I've been tagged...

I've been tagged by Rae! Yay- fun blogging games! Now I have to tell 7 little-known things about me for all the blogger world to read...

Hmmm....

1. When I was in the 6th grade my class had a St. Urho's Day party (my teacher was Finnish). One of my duties was to make the Kool-Aid for the party, so off to the school kitchen I went. All of the cooks were gone for the day, so I just grabbed the first white granular substance I could find and mixed it with the Kool-Aid and water. Yep - you guessed it - not sugar. It was salt. Salt does NOT make good lime Kool-Aid! Luckily we had some extra packets and I finally managed to find the sugar. Of course, I got some teasing after that...the "smart girl" in class didn't even know how to make Kool-Aid!

2. For the past 3 years, I have spent at least 2 weeks in the summer crawling around on the ground in the Black Hills of South Dakota looking for tiny ferns - and I LOVED it! This year I can't make the trip, and I SO WISH I could go. Even though I have not had a trip to the Black Hills that did not include both scorching heat AND snow in the same trip. I've even looked for these little ferns during a hail storm!

3. Like Jocelyn, I don't shave my legs above the knee either. I have light blonde hair on my legs, too...so what's the point? I have way too much to do, by the time I remember to shave my legs in the morning I'm usually running late already, and really what's the point...not even my husband would notice the difference!

4. I have traveled to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, and Taiwan for my thesis research. I only spent a long weekend in Puerto Rico, nearly three weeks in Costa Rica, and 2 months in Taiwan. I also traveled to Tanzania when I was a senior in college. It was a totally life-changing trip!

5. I used to dress my little brother up in dresses and put make-up on him! He hates to be reminded of it now....but I KNOW he liked it! He was smiling in all of the pictures, after all ;)

6. My husband and I have a serious soft spot for animals....We have 2 dogs and 3 shelter-rescued cats. We also have a small aquarium with a few fish and a couple of lizards.

7. I didn't learn how to use chop-sticks until I went to Taiwan (even though I had planned to learn before I left, but ran out of time to practice). If I wanted to eat, I HAD to learn how to use them! So, I learned pretty quickly. Although, at first, it was pretty embarrassing to be the only "white girl" in the restaurant - EVERYONE watches you and critiques you on your chop-stick usage. I am proud to say that by the end of the first two weeks I was a pro - and people complimented me on my ability to use chopsticks! Before that - they snickered at me. No one there expects you to be able to use chopsticks, so when you can, they are pleasantly surprised. I am also happy to say that I NEVER asked for other utensils. Even if it took me longer to get the food to my mouth. When in Rome, do as the Romans do....

And...since I'm going to play a Jamie here and not officially "tag" anyone else (if you are reading this and haven't done it yourself already, consider yourself "tagged") I am going to add another little-known tidbit for good measure.

8. When I was in Tanzania I ate termites. Yep - that's right, I ate termites. We happened to be there when the termites were leaving their underground homes to colonize a new location. So, there were termites flying everywhere! Our guide's two sons decided that we needed to learn about a Tanzanian delicacy...termites. The boys caught them, took their wings off and popped them in like popcorn. None of us were really interested in that, so they offered to cook them for us - in butter. A bit crunchy...and with the butter, very much like popcorn!

2 comments:

fully operational battle station said...

Eeeewwwwwww. You ate Termites! Eeewwwww.

Brandi said...

Number 8, definitely the coolest of all the facts! Hi, I came across your blog from a comment on Rae's page. I'm going to have fun reading your journey. . .I"m excited for your adoption from Ghana. We're adopting from Liberia through AoH. Nice to meet you!