Monday, May 7, 2007

World AIDS Orphans Day

Monday, May 7th is World AIDS Orphans Day. What does that mean exactly? I'm not totally sure...How should we recognize the day as such? I'm not totally sure.

Right now there are an estimated 15 million AIDS orphans in the world. By the year 2010, it is thought the estimate could reach 100 million AIDS orphans. How do you even begin to wrap your mind around those numbers? Who is going to feed 100 million orphans? Who's going to provide them with clothes and homes? Who is going to wish them well on their first day of school? Who is going to kiss their "ouchies" and tuck them in at night? Who's going to read 100 million bed-time stories and remind 100 million kids to brush their teeth?

The number is unfathomable. Even at 15 million, the number is unfathomable. I don't know what to do to fix this. But, today we should at least spend a little time thinking about it. Think about the reality for these kids. Maybe write a few letters...maybe sign a few petitions....maybe say a few prayers. We have to find a way to make these numbers stop getting bigger and bigger. If this were an American problem, would we sit by and watch the numbers get bigger? Would we call it a "cultural problem" and let them fend for themselves? If we saw the faces of these children every day, could we look away, pretending they didn't exist? Of course not.

In the words of Bono, "We cannot let where we live determine whether we live or whether we die."

Remember the AIDS orphans today....think of a way you can try to make a difference. Go here for more information. While I don't know much about this organization...and don't personally know if its legit or not....I can say that getting the word out about AIDS orphans in the world is a good thing. I haven't had time to investigate this group and learn more about them myself yet, but I plan to when I have more time. For now...I'm just remembering the orphans, thinking about them, and trying to figure out how I can make a difference. There HAS to be some way, right?

No comments: