Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas in Ghana


Four years ago today, I was driving across Iowa and Kansas with my mom to pick Z up from Fort Riley so that he could be home for our wedding. It was the day before our wedding (which I had planned in 6 days), I was excited for what was ahead, but I was also tired, stressed, and worried. Z had a window of just a few days off his Army training for Christmas so we decided to go ahead and fit in our wedding and a holiday with our families before I had to take him back to Fort Riley to continue training for his deployment to Iraq. It was a crazy time!

Today, I feel as though I am in a similar place (at least emotionally similar). I am again excited about what is to come, but I'm tired, stressed, nervous, and worried. Today we are busy packing for Z's trip to Ghana. We're going through paperwork, discussing what's necessary and what's optional to pack in case it doesn't all fit into the luggage. We're trying to determine what is needed to pack for the boys (in case they can come home with him). We're getting copies of important paperwork...and shopping for the last-minute things that we didn't get earlier and determined needed to go into Z's luggage.
Z is so excited about his trip to Ghana. He's excited that he will meet our boys for the first time on Christmas morning (God-willing all the flights will go as planned). He is excited to spend time getting to know his sons and learning more about their birth country.

He will also be filing the paperwork needed to finish the process in Ghana and allow the boys to immigrate to the U.S. We would appreciate prayers that all will go smoothly in Ghana, that the embassy will process paperwork quickly, and that the boys will be able to come home with Z soon! Please pray for safe travels for Z and for Jim (another dad traveling to pick up his boys). Pray that the embassy will process paperwork quickly for both families allowing all 4 boys to leave the orphanage and come to America together. Our boys are cousins and it would be fantastic if they could all leave together.

Here are some pictures of Christmas decorations and Christmas dinner at Eban House. That's right...the goat is Christmas dinner....Z should be there for all of the festivities. I'll make sure to give you all a report when I have one!


2 comments:

Leslie said...

WOW!!! I can imagine how excited and overwhelming this all is! I am so happy for you! I am praying for the logistics to come together and for peace and joyful anticipation as you get everything together for the big adventure ahead. I can't wait to hear what happens!!
Lots of love, Leslie

Stacie said...

I've been thinking about you guys... my prayers are with you and Z and your boys - that all goes well and they can come home!