Well, I have some news to share....one of us is traveling to Ghana to be with our boys for Christmas!
Its kind of a long story, so I'll spare you the details, but we worked out a plan for one of us to travel early to file the I-600 in Ghana. It just works out that the trip will be happening right over the Christmas holiday. We decided that as long as neither of us travels twice, we won't really be spending THAT much more money than if we both traveled at the same time (of course, its more money for in-country expenses...but that's beside the point). So, this time around Z is traveling...and when all the paperwork is done, my mom and I will travel to pick up the boys.
Z is so incredibly excited to spend Christmas with his sons (and the rest of the kids at Eban House). He has a Santa hat to wear and we put together little stockings for each of the kids so they get a little something for Christmas. Eban House will have a Christmas celebration of their own, but we don't know if it will happen on Christmas or just sometime close to Christmas.
This trip will give Z the opportunity to meet and start bonding with the boys on their own turf. He'll get to meet their caretakers and the other children at Eban House, he'll get to hang out with them in places they are familiar with. He'll get to experience what their personalities are like, he'll get to find out what they are used to eating, what their daily schedule is. Hopefully he'll get to find out a little bit about what their likes and dislikes are, and find out if the clothing we have waiting at home for them will actually fit them! All of this information is so important to us. He'll get to meet them, tell them about me and the rest of the family, and if he has to leave them he'll be able to promise that I will be there soon to bring them to America. I know that it will be hard for him to leave the boys, but in all honesty it will probably be less hard for him than it would be for me.
While Z is there he will file the I-600 and try to determine just how long processing will take. There is a SLIGHT chance that the processing could go pretty quickly. If that happens, then Z will extend his trip so that he can bring the boys home with him. We are not counting on this happening, but we certainly wouldn't complain if it did. We are so excited to get the boys home!! With Z traveling, that reality is starting to feel closer and closer!
My head is spinning with details lately....pricing tickets, working on Z's visa, how much money to bring, what to pack, collecting donations, finishing up the boys' room, working on Christmas presents (to get to family early since we won't make it to family Christmas celebrations), etc., etc., etc. If I go a few days without posting, now you know why! I will keep you updated on news and while Z is away, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to blather away while I sit at home worrying about Z and the boys and waiting for news!