The boys have been home for two and a half days....Here's what I've learned so far:
1. Little Ghanaian boys LOVE eggs and bread. We've gone through 1 loaf of bread and a dozen eggs already.
2. It is apparently a universal experience that all little boys will use any building material (blocks, legos, play dough, etc.) to make a gun and use it to "shoot" each other or one of the dogs innocently walking by.
3. Oranges are good motivation for getting little boys to eat more of the actual meal.
4. Little Ghanaian boys LOVE to take baths and pretend to be fish. They also love to splash, throw tub toys, and slide around on their butts in the bathtub until the water splashes right out of the tub onto the floor.
5. Peanut tries really hard to eat things he doesn't like, because he thinks he HAS to eat it. He puts it in his mouth, bites down, and stops....then big tears come rolling silently down his cheeks. His mama doesn't make him eat all the yucky stuff, though.
6. Jellybean only likes the cream part of the Oreo cookie.
7. Jellybean likes raisins, but not peanuts.
8. Peanut likes peanuts, but not raisins.
9. Neither one of them likes cheese.
10. They don't like tortilla chips either.
11. But they do like chili with rice, and red beans and rice, eggs and toast, and peanut butter sandwiches.
12. It can get pretty tiring to say "remember we have to share", "say please", "say thank you", and "mama will help you" a hundred times a day.
13. It is also tiring to hear "Mama, I don't like" when presenting new food to the boys. But it is great when you hear "Mama, I like" or "dis good" instead.
14. Last night both boys decided they wanted mama to sleep by them. Tonight I discovered it is very difficult to sneak out of the bottom of a bunk bed when you are laying between two little boys who you don't want to wake up....you are in the middle, of course, because both boys wanted to sleep next to mama.
15. It is tiring to hear "Mama look my car" every 30 seconds while the boys are playing with duplo blocks. It is also very exciting to have two little boys who want to hear their mama say "wow - that's a nice car!"
16. Staying at home with two little boys during the day is way more tiring than going to my office on the average day.
17. Changing the sheets on the top of a bunk bed at 3am is not an easy task...especially when you've got a really tired 5 year old waiting to get back into bed.
18. I now totally understand why my mom didn't put up with whining.
19. Little boys don't have the best aim when using the bathroom...Z tells me I just have to get used to having a bathroom that smells like urine. I am determined to solve this little problem.
20. My heart melts when I hear the boys laugh - really laugh. It also melts when they give out hugs and kisses.
I'd do this over again in a heart beat.