Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Favorite Time of the Year

It feels like Fall around here these days. I've been holding my breath, as we always get a few fall-ish feeling days and then have a return of the oh-so-hot summer days. But, it officially feels like Fall around here now. I know that we will likely get some more of those hot (or at least really warm) days, but they are going to be pretty limited from here on out.

I LOVE IT! I love the crispness in the air. I love leaving the windows open so there's lots of fresh air. I love that I don't have to deal with all that humidity. I love that I wake up feeling a bit chilly. I love that I can go outside in jeans and a t-shirt (or sweatshirt even) and not get too hot. I love that the leaves are starting to fall from the trees (and soon the leaf-pile shuffling and jumping can begin). And I love that for at least a little while, I won't have to pay to cool (or heat) our house. The fresh air can come in freely...and if it gets a little too chilly, I can close some windows, snuggle under a homemade quilt, and light a candle or two.

This kind of weather makes me want to grab some knitting needles or my sewing machine and get to work (unfortunately, though, I don't have the space (or the time, really) to do it right now). It makes me want to pull out my stash of big wool socks and my warm felt slippers. It makes me want to wander through the woods looking for interesting mushrooms and insects to stare at for a while.

Over the weekend, I discovered that one of my very favorite Fall indulgences is back...and that means Fall is officially here!


Now I just wish that Fall would last a while longer than it usually does. I'll take this Fall weather until...oh...Christmas Eve. Then bring on the snow!

No comments: