Friday, October 31, 2008

Why can't it be easy??

Ugh. Life this past couple of weeks have been crazy. We've had a wedding one weekend, a visit from grandma and grandpa the next weekend, and a busy weekend this weekend, too. Add to that doing all the laundry that adds up, cleaning, cooking, housekeeping and looking at houses, makes for an extra-busy time.

Z and I have decided that we are going to look seriously at housing options for our family. Housing prices are down a bit...and it seems like it could be a good time to buy, for those who can secure a loan. We've been weighing our options and to be honest, I'm having a bit of a hard time. I LOVE the town we live in. I LOVE the school that Jellybean goes to. I would LOVE to find a home in our current school district to make our own. But the problem is that every home we've looked at in our current town (regardless of school district)in our price range has some serious issues. Either the house is a MAJOR fixer-upper, or its way too small, or there is NO yard. Yuck! Sure, if we had $50,000 more to spend we'd have a lot more options, but right now we just don't have that. So...we've started branching out...looking at homes in smaller towns in the area. We can get A LOT more for our money if we just go 10 miles from our current town.

But...then I get a tinge of sadness about leaving Jellybean's school district. For a town in central Iowa, this school is amazingly diverse. There are children from ALL over the world in this one school. And there are families who look like ours. There are children who look like Jellybean and Peanut. That's important to us.

All the schools in our area are good schools. I have no doubt that if we move to another town our kids will get a good education. But...the other towns simply do not have the amount of diversity that you can find in this university town.

So, I'm waffling...I'm flip-flopping. I want the best for my kids. I want to have it all (the nice house with the nice yard in the great school district). But, we're just not finding it.

I'm not sure what we're going to do...but I do know that we are SO READY to have a place of our own!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

open enroll them, not that hard:)That we you can get the best of both worlds!