Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pride

This morning as we were driving around in the mini-van after we dropped Jellybean off at school, Peanut decided he needed to tell me something.

Peanut: "Mommy...I'm proud of Uncle Bama. Are you proud of Uncle Bama?"

Me: "Yes...I am proud of Barack Obama...and I'm proud of our country, too."

Peanut: "Is daddy proud of Uncle Bama?"

Me: "I'm sure he is...but you can ask him when you see him."

Peanut: "Ok. I want to ask him now."


Barack Obama is not a perfect man, he wasn't the perfect candidate, and he won't be the perfect president. But I can say, without reservation, that I am celebrating today. I cried when I watched Jesse Jackson cry, I cried as I listened to President Elect Obama speak last night, and I had tears in my eyes when my son said he was proud of "Uncle Bama".

I am thankful today. Thankful that I live in a country where a President Obama can be a reality. I am thankful that I live in a country where I can cast my vote without fear. I am thankful that I live in a country where I have faith in the fairness of the vote. I am thankful that I live in a country where people can disagree vehemently, but do so without violence. And I am thankful that I live in a country where the candidate who lost the election concedes with grace and dignity. The people of our country should be proud of both of our candidates.

No comments: