Thursday, April 9, 2009

Finding the Silver Lining

Last night I had the opportunity to have a much-needed catch-up session with one of my dear girlfriends over appetizers and a drink at one of our favorite places. Because both of us have been so busy lately, we haven't had the opportunity to get together as much as we normally would. It was clear from the beginning of our meeting last night that we had a lot of catching up to do.

She went through her stuff...we chatted some more...and then I went through my "stuff". After sharing information about the death of our boys' baby sister in Ghana, the subsequent loss of the boys' little brother, and the deployment of Z's Army Reserve unit I felt like a big ol' ball of sunshine. It wasn't until I sat down across from my friend and filled her in on everything that has been going on with us that it finally hit me that we have a lot of heavy stuff going on in our lives right now.

As of right now, Z isn't being deployed overseas, but his unit's deployment and his absence for a couple of months while he helps them train and do paperwork will most definitely play a big part in our lives for the next year or so. And the dear friend who sat across from me at the table last night is one of the few people in my life that I know really "gets" what Army life is like. She and I suffered through the last deployment together...we spent many evenings in our jammies watching movies while clutching our cell phones in case we got a phone call. We both leaned on each other a lot during that year.

But I also know that in times of turmoil, there is tremendous opportunity for personal growth. I have held my two Ghanaian blessings a little closer these days. And Z and I have realized that our family isn't complete. There's still someone missing. We just don't know who it is yet. But...we are getting closer and closer to figuring out WHERE that someone is. And that is a bright spot for us.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi Chanda,

You certainly do have a lot of stuff going on right now. I hope you are able to take care of yourself through everything. :) Praying for you.

Fabu

P.S. As side, I just went to type in the security code and thought it might make you smile to know I have to type "colon" to get this to post!