Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One Man's Junk

A couple of months ago, I rescued a plant out of the compost bin. I work in a building that has a large greenhouse on the top floor, so it isn't exactly an unusual occurrence to find a plant in the compost bin that I decide has some redeeming quality. Then I drag it home, pot it up, and hope for the best.

The plant that I rescued a couple months ago is a Bird of Paradise plant. I LOVE them. It looked pretty ragged when I pulled it out of the compost bin, but I brought it home anyway. I put it in a nice big pot, gave it lots of water, and put it on my front porch. I figured if nothing else, I'd have some extra green through the summer...and if it still wasn't looking great by fall, at least I would have given it a few extra months to thrive.

A couple days ago, I noticed that there were flower buds on the Bird of Paradise. Then they opened.

Not bad for garbage, right??

No comments: