Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Weather


The last few days have been terrible weather-wise. Its been HOT and HUMID all day long...and then rainy and stormy at night. In the past 3 nights we've had more than 10 inches of rainfall. That means today Ames, IA is flooded. Seriously flooded. Evacuations, sand-bags, closed roads and buildings, etc. Flooded. And to top it off, we are in an excessive heat warning until tomorrow night. Today and tomorrow we are expected to have unusually high temperatures and a heat index of 105-110 degrees.

In a word this weather SUCKS.

I spent an hour and a half this morning trying to get to Ames. An hour and a half wasted, since I never got to where I wanted to go. Every route was closed. Luckily today is my day off of work, but tomorrow I am not sure I'll be able to get there.

I was feeling kind of sorry for myself this morning when I woke up since we had been without electricity for several hours last night and there was some water in the basement that needed cleaning up. Then I tried to drive to Ames and realized that many people are much worse off. Hilton Coliseum has 4ft of water in it (and its still coming in)...Hwy 30, Interstate 35, Lincoln Way, Hwy 69, and many many other streets in Ames are closed.

The boys told me this morning during our unproductive trip to town that "Today is not a good day to go for a drive, Mommy."
I guess I'll just stay home...

Images from Ames Tribune

No comments: